Assistant Public Defender III - #653761
State of Rhode Island
DIRECT REPRESENTATION: Representation of indigent defendants and respondents in all cases assigned. Representation may include, depending upon the area of specialty, intake processing, collection of background information concerning the client and offense, interviewing clients and witnesses, case investigation, preparation for court proceedings, legal research and writing, and any other representation functions. Representation also includes maintaining frequent contact and a good working relationship with client, and thorough knowledge of up-to-date and relevant law and procedure.
ADMINISTRATIVE: Maintaining accurate and complete files with entries made in a timely manner and providing such reporting as may be required. Current and thorough knowledge of corrections and community treatment programs and other resources for clients. Participating in periodic evaluations. Periodic preparation of documents supporting office programs and funding. Participating in public defender training and community programs. Intake interviews and financial eligibility determinations as required.
CASELOAD: Caseloads may be limited in number and/or type, commensurate with skill and experience. Assignment of particularly demanding cases may be accompanied by special assistance and/or resources.
SUPERVISION REQUIRED: Works under the general supervision of unit or division head, with considerable latitude for the exercise of initiative and independent judgment in the representation of clients assigned. Work is reviewed and evaluated periodically. Opportunities will be created to act as second-chair to gain further trial experience.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: With respect to representation in individual cases, plans, organizes, coordinates, directs and reviews the work of professional assistants, investigators, social workers, and administrative support staff assigned to assist. May exercise limited responsibility for assignments of cases and intake function in a particular location.
Illustrative Examples of Work Performed
- Advise and represent the legal interests of assigned clients pertaining to the technical and legal aspects in the relevant legal specialty.
- Represent clients at a variety of court proceedings, including but not limited to hearings, conferences, oral arguments, and trials.
- Provide legal assistance to inmates at the Adult Correctional Institutions, Training School, any federal penitentiary, or any state prison requesting assistance from the Office of the Public Defender for the purpose of resolving pending criminal charges.
- Provide technical and legal assistance to any other assistant public defender as required.
- Prepare detailed reports and recommendations.
- Respond to requests for technical and/or legal advice as assigned by supervisor(s).
- Remain knowledgeable about federal and state law, as relevant to the legal specialty practiced.
- Prepare briefs for memorandum and/or argument.
- Prepare legal research necessary to conduct a criminal trial or hearing.
- Related work as required.
Required Qualifications for Appointment
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES: A thorough knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws; a thorough knowledge of the problems inherent in the criminal justice field; the ability to act as advisor and/or counselor to clients assigned; the ability to meet and deal effectively with officials of the State, Court, or local prosecution; the ability to conduct special research projects; the ability to prepare detailed factual reports; and related capacities and abilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
EDUCATION: Such as may have been gained through graduation from a law school of recognized standing, and
EXPERIENCE: Experience gained through employment as a practicing attorney or previous experience in a responsible position in a related field.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: A graduate law degree comparable to a J.D. from an accredited law school; Admission to the Rhode Island Bar or eligibility for waived admission.
- PARTICIPANT IN THE J.R. JUSTICE LOAN REPAYMENT ASSISTANCE
- MINORITY CANDIDATES ADMITTED TO A STATE BAR ASSOCIATION ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- THE OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC DEFENDER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY EMPLOYER
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.